The American Sewing Guild is a national non-profit organization dedicated to people who believe sewing is a rewarding and creative activity. The organization welcomes sewers of all skill levels, ages, and interests. It offers a place for sewers to learn new skills, share interests, and contribute through community service. Membership in the guild gives you the opportunity to nurture your love of sewing in a supportive, sharing and caring community of others who share your love of sewing.
The Cedar Rapids Chapter of the American Sewing Guild welcomes all interested sewers in the Cedar Rapids Metropolitan Area. Those interested in the organization are invited to attend as a guest for 1 or 2 meetings. Specific membership information for the American Sewing Guild is located on the membership page of the American Sewing Guild website .
2020 Meeting and Activity Schedule
Meetings are held on the second Saturday of each month; 9:30 a.m. (Doors open at 9:00 a.m.) at the Community of Christ Church, 1500 Blairs Ferry Road, Hiawatha, IA 52233. Guests are welcome.
- January 11 – CANCELLED (Weather)
- February 8 – Special topic
- March 14 – What’s New – What’s Not – (Presentation slides shared with information about 2020 seasonal colors, patterns, and totes/bag trends). Presented by Sharron McElmeel
- March 26-28 – Spring Retreat (registration required – see Feb/Mar newsletter for registration or download here [pdf])
- April 11 – CANCELLED (COVID) Helios Stitches N Stuff – A presentation — Owners Kevin Carpenter and Leland Turner
- May 9 – CANCELLED (COVID) Sewists/crafters – need just one special button, piece of trim. Find it at The Create Exchange Store. Meet owner Jennifer Stewart, owner, and learn all about the store and its unique selling/buying concept.
June 12-13 – CANCELLED (COVID) Special event with Pam Damour – the Decorating Diva (registration required)
- July 9-12 – CANCELLED (COVID) ASG National Conference (San Antonio, TX]
- July 11 – CANCELLED (COVID) Every Project: A Story with Sharron McElmeel. A Sewing Journey: Projects inspired by stories, simple projects for gifts, and sewing our passions.
- July 23-25 – Summer Retreat (registration required) (Held at Center Point Public Library – with Covid Precautions)
- August 8 – Sewing with Mercy with Judy Shimek (volunteer coordinator at Mercy Hospital, Cedar Rapids, IA). (Held at Center Point Public Library – with Covid Precautions
- September – National Sewing Month – Check out the Guild’s display at the Cedar Rapids Public Library at 450 5th Avenue SE, Cedar Rapids, IA
- September 12 – CANCELLED AS the VIRTUAL NATIONAL CONFERENCE WILL BE HELD DURING THIS TIME. All About Bears – presenting Loesje Shema (Loeloe’s Loft – See your treasures in a new light with art and design)
- October 10 – Jennifer Rotole – Speaking of Buttons
- October 22-24 – Fall Retreat (registration required)
- November 14 – Annual meeting / brunch, election of officers. — Rescheduled – All About Bears – presenting Loesje Shema (Loeloe’s Loft – See your treasures in a new light with art and design)
- December 12 – Designing at the Frond – presentation by Stephanie Brandenburg. Fronddesignstudios.com
Our Local Sewing Supporters:
Inspired to Sew: At Pine Needles, 1000 Old Marion Rd. NE, Cedar Rapids, IA (319) 373-0334 http://www.InspiredToSew.com
Viking Sewing Center, 121 West 45h Street, Vinton, IA (319) 472-2660 http://www.vintonsewing.com
Shields Sewing Center, 230 Scott Ct, Iowa City, IA 52245 (319) 358-0101 http://www.shieldssewingcenter.com
West Side Sewing, 4100 1st Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402 (319) 365-3075 http://www.westsidesewing.com/