The American Sewing Guild is a national non-profit organization dedicated to people who believe sewing is a rewarding and creative activity. The organization welcomes sewers of all skill levels, ages, and interests. It offers a place for sewers to learn new skills, share interests, and contribute through community service. Membership in the guild gives you the opportunity to nurture your love of sewing in a supportive, sharing and caring community of others who share your love of sewing.
The Cedar Rapids Chapter of the American Sewing Guild welcomes all interested sewers in the Cedar Rapids Metropolitan Area. Those interested in the organization are invited to attend as a guest for 1 or 2 meetings. Specific membership information for the American Sewing Guild is located on the membership page of the American Sewing Guild website .
2019 Meeting and Activity Schedule
Meetings are held on the second Saturday of each month; 9:30 a.m. (Doors open at 9:00 a.m.) at the Community of Christ Church, 1500 Blairs Ferry Road, Hiawatha, IA 52233. Guests are welcome.
- January – No Meeting
- February – No Meeting
- March 9 – Doris Montag “The History of Ordinary Things”
- March 21-23 – Spring Retreat (registration required)
- April 13 – Donna McCullough “Home Decorating”
- May 11 – Sue Reid “All I Learned on the Way to the Sewing Room”
- June 7-8 – Special event with Marla Kazell (registration required)
- July 13 – Reverse Dying/Rust Dying (Hands on)
- July 25-27 Summer Retreat (registration required)
- August 1-4– ASG National Conference (Boston MA]
- August 10 – Trip to Iowa State Fair (registration required)
- September – National Sewing Month – Check out the Guild’s display at the Cedar Rapids Public Library at 450 5th Avenue SE, Cedar Rapids, IA
- September 14 – Paula Blessman, Days for Girls – presentation followed by Community Sew-in (to 3 p.m.). Bring your UFO in a brown paper bag-to share as a mystery UFO Swap.
- October 12 – Tamra Lang, Embellishment
- October 24-26 Fall Retreat (registration required)
- November 9– Annual meeting, election of officers, reveal of UFO swap.
- December 14 – Make and Take (Hands on Activity).
Our Local Sewing Supporters:
Inspired to Sew: At Pine Needles, 1000 Old Marion Rd. NE, Cedar Rapids, IA (319) 373-0334 http://www.InspiredToSew.com
Viking Sewing Center, 121 West 45h Street, Vinton, IA (319) 472-2660 http://www.vintonsewing.com
Shields Sewing Center, 230 Scott Ct, Iowa City, IA 52245 (319) 358-0101 http://www.shieldssewingcenter.com
West Side Sewing, 4100 1st Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52402 (319) 365-3075 http://www.westsidesewing.com/